Thursday, July 5, 2012

Home-made Muesli Bars



Muesli bars are a healthy food, right? I suppose some are, if you buy the organic, reduced sugar, reduced fat ones. But have a look on the back of the pack. See those weird sounding chemical names? Or the names that come with numbers (like emulsifier 471)? Of course common sense would tell you that in order for a product to stay fresh for months and months on a supermarket shelf, food additives like preservatives will have to be added.

Which makes them not so healthy.

It's convenient buying muesli bars from the shops. I get it. I really do. I've done it myself. But once you've made your own muesli bars, chances are you won't buy them from the supermarket anymore. Besides it being cheap as chips to make your own, you can also vary the ingredients.

This recipe is really versatile. I've made it a few times, and each time the muesli bars are different. Play around with the ingredients. I don't have wheatgerm at home, so I increased the rolled oats quantity to 1.5 cups. I don't like too many sesame seeds, so I reduced the amount and topped it up with something else. Besides the sultanas, I've also tried other dried fruit like cranberries, apricots, apples, dates. All very yummy. Next time I will add flaxseed too. Or maybe chocolate chips if I was making them as a treat.

You could also add nuts, but I left them out because Miss Pantry's preschool has a nut-free policy.

One thing to remember though, you have to include the brown sugar and honey, to make the caramel that binds the ingredients together. Otherwise you'll end up with yummy muesli, instead of muesli bars, as I found out one time when I omitted most of the sugar.

After cutting into bars, I wrap each one in baking paper so they don't all stick together. And it's easy to grab-and-go. I cut each bar small, about half the size of the average muesli bar. I found this easier for Miss Pantry to handle, and it also reduces food wastage.

Recipe adapted from Taste.com.au
Prep and cooking time: Less than 30 minutes (longer if your 3.5 year old preschooler is helping!)
Makes 16 bars.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup wheatgerm
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds (I reduced to 1/8 cup)
  • 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1 cup sultanas
  • 125g butter (I reduced to 100g)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (reduced to 1/4 cup, which is just enough to help the muesli stick)

Method:
  1. Grease and line a baking pan with baking paper. Cook oats, coconut, wheatgerm, sesame seeds, sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds over medium heat, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool. Stir in sultanas.
  2. Cook butter, honey and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, without stirring, for 7 minutes or until mixture forms a soft ball when a little is dropped into ice-cold water. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
  3. Spoon mixture into pan. Use a large metal spoon to press down firmly (I use a sheet of baking paper and press down with my hand to compact the muesli). Allow to cool. Cut into squares. Store in a foil-lined airtight container for up to 7 days.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

~ Keep calm and have a cupcake ~