Monday, October 31, 2011

Shortbread



These are my Mum's favourite biscuits. Crumbly, buttery shortbread.

However, would it surprise you if I said that Mum doesn't like butter? Nope, can't stand the taste, the smell, the texture. But give her a plate of these? And she just about inhales them.
I could never figure out why, because these biscuits are baked with almost the entire stick of butter (220g)!






These biscuits are fabulous with a cup of coffee. The rice flour gives it a nice crumbly interior, while the exterior holds its shape rather well. They are good travellers too. I would know, because these biscuits survived a plane trip in my suitcase. Yes, my suitcase, stored in ziploc bags no less. And they arrived at their destination looking just as unblemished as they were when I packed them.





Make these today, won't you?


Recipe from Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 2
Ingredients:
  • 220g chilled butter, chopped
  • 2/3 cup caster sugar
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 160ÂșC. Line trays with non-stick baking paper. Process all ingredients in a food processor until a dough forms.
  2. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
  3. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls. Place on baking trays and flatten slightly with a fork.
  4. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until just golden brown.

Notes:
I used my KitchenAid mixer for this because my food processor is too small. First I creamed the butter and sugar, then added vanilla and egg, before adding the flours half a cup at a time.
Happy baking!

2 comments:

Catty Pants said...

Yay!!! You are blogging again :):) I love it :):)

BTW, your Mum and I are the same - I can't stand butter! Or cheese, or yoghurt or milk. But I LOVE, LOVE shortbread so thank you for posting this cause I will definitely try it :):)

Serene Bean said...

Haha, yes I remember you're not a dairy fan. In uni, you used to keep those little Pura milk containers we get from Macca's for your cuppa. That little splash of milk was all you needed/could tolerate. :)

Let me know how your shortbread goes, I wonder if the texture would be different if I had used a food processor instead of a mixer.

~ Keep calm and have a cupcake ~